The challenge is a 3 week trip to Tennessee, to experience the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, The Great Smoky Mountains and The Appalachian Trail. Through doing this participants complete their John Muir Award, which focuses on: discovering, exploring, conserving and sharing. More information, can be found here
The challenge is open to people 18+ within the club network who are nominated by their Club Leaders, this means not only will the participant will be representing their club but also Essex Boys and Girls Clubs.
- Applicants must be aged 18 + by August 2019.
- Applicants must be, or be prepared to become, physically fit enough to take on the challenge.
- Applicants must understand that this is a no smoking trip.
The Selection Process
- Potential participants must be nominated by their Club Leader using the Nomination Form.
- Nominees will be invited to apply with a short letter explaining what they hope to get out of the trip and why they should be considered for the challenge and to represent their club.
- Selected nominees will be invited to a Selection Weekend at either Maes Y Lade (Wales) or High Row (Lake District).
- Applicants will be informed whether they have been selected for the trip by within 2 weeks of completing the selection weekend.
- Participants will be supported during a series of meetings (physical and/or remote via Skype) to ensure they have a fitness plan and a fundraising plan (support is offered for both parts).
- Participants will meet at EBGC HQ in Chelmsford the night before flying to America.
- On return, all participants produce or present a report to their club and their county association of their experience.
Participants are expected to raise the necessary funds through a variety of routes, including work, traditional fundraising activities and applications to potential funders. Fundraising advice and support will be provided.
The trip costs include flights, accommodation, food, activities and staffing. The only thing not included is transport to EBGC HQ in Chelmsford,Essex , personal spending money (ie: for souvenirs or treats) and personal kit (certain items are available to borrow).
The trip is led by two experienced staff from EBGC.